Project Management Consultant, 2000 – 2003
Recruited to assist Virginia Medicaid agency in management of failing MMIS development effort. Key member of executive management team that oversaw development and implementation.
- Constructed overall project plan covering system development, testing, and implementation efforts to monitor project progress, solve schedule-related problems, and assess contractor performance.
- Coordinated team of 17 consultants in overall DMAS management of project.
- Advised DMAS management on oversight issues related to project status and contractor performance:
- Conducted analysis of contractor programming quality, feasibility of and conformance to contractor proposed development schedule, and progress of contractor systems testing efforts;
- Created and maintained status metrics, charts, and graphs for ongoing project management.
- Made presentations to DMAS Director and authored correspondence for DMAS Director’s signature documenting findings in previous analysis;
- Prepared periodic and as-needed project reports for Governor’s Office, Secretary of Health and Human Resources, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and State Department of Technology.
- Led team of three specialists in risk management and quality assurance efforts.
- Conducted systems analysis – preparation of operations concepts and MMIS change specifications – for the following DMAS initiatives:
- State program to provide health care benefits to children of working poor (FAMIS);
- Department cost savings initiative involving prescription drug preauthorization.
- Authored multi-volume project history for state Joint Legislative Audit & Review Commission.
- Credited with rescuing foundering $60,000,000 project.